Monday, July 19, 2010

You Say Goodbye & I Say Hello

I received many great things at work today. Global department hooked me up with some awesome new intern swag:


It's a knitted glove keychain and bookmark made by Girl Guides (Girl Scouts are the American organization; Girl Guides are international branch, founded in the UK, although we are all under the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouting, W.A.G.G.G.S) in Lima, Peru. The bookmark reads, in Spanish, "A Guide protects animals." You tell it, sister. You can also see the previously mentioned Girl Scout keychain flashlight. Such great swag. I'm starting to accumulate quite a collection of Central/South American goods for never having been there and only being able to say "Hi, I'm from the United States, taco" in Spanish: the keychain, the bookmark, my silly vest, and the alpaca backpack, the Pulsera. It's getting a little ridiculous.

I also received the valuable lesson that when the vice president of your department says "jump," you say "how high?" The 2nd annual (er, monthly) M+V potluck at Bryant Park that I had planned had been on the calendar for at least a month, when it was suddenly axed today by the head honcho of our floor. Sure, we're going to get ice cream instead, a solid consolation prize, but it was a little disappointing to have yet another project kicked to the curb after the expedient dismantling and rearrangement of GSFG, the very assignment which I was brought on to complete and assist with its national rollout. Ironically, more people responded to the potluck than the ice cream outing, but what can you do? It's a hard knock life for an intern.

No comments:

Post a Comment